Please read the entire content below before submitting – even if you are a seasoned speaker.
Hardwear.io is a platform for the hardware and security community where researchers showcase and discuss their innovative research on attacking and defending hardware. We happily open doors for researchers and hackers around the world working on the next Big Thing in security – if you've done interesting offence/defence research on any hardware and want to share it to the security community, it's time to submit your research paper!
We are interested in new and cutting edge security work that has previously not been published. Some security topics for your reference including (but not limited to):
Type: A deep knowledge technical track that includes new research, vulnerabilities, zero days or exploits. And by new we really mean new i.e. if your research or talk has been published/showcased (partially or entirely) before, it will fall under current research category even though there are enhancements/changes to the original research.**
Duration: 30 mins
Type: Comprises of known security issues, new research presented/published elsewhere, case studies, twist to an existing research, vulnerability, exploit or research-in-progress.**
Duration: 30 mins
Type: Comprises of open source security tools, exploits, hardware etc. This is an excellent opportunity for the original authors to showcase their work to the world.**
Duration: 30 mins
1) Submit early – Submitting early increases the chance of acceptance in the first round of reviews. The more you delay, the more competition you have with other papers that are submitted later.
2) Technical description – The more clear-cut technical details you provide, the better chance you have of getting accepted. Reviewers usually give a low score to submissions that have very short/vague abstract and may not request more details. The best way is to provide a supporting full technical paper that explains all the vulnerabilities, exploits, etc. in detail. Product/company marketing and vendor-related pitches will be rejected. We request you not to submit any product-specific talk.
3) Live demos – please note we really like talks/workshops with live demos. Of course it is also possible to submit a paper without demos – this will not affect the score of your paper.
4) Rejection of a paper – Many security professionals aim to publish and present their findings at renowned security conferences. However, publishing such research is no easy task, and rejection is a common occurrence. Please take rejection as a suggestion for improvement of the paper. Declining a paper doesn't mean your submission is not good enough – there are numerous parameters we consider when reviewing a paper. Quite often we have to let go of really good talks since there is already an accepted paper on a similar subject, or because your submission is already presented/published elsewhere. Cheer up and get ready for the next submission, we're always looking for new research!
5) Review panel & comments – Since the conference will be online, the review will be conducted in-house by the organization expert team. Final decision on acceptance/rejection of papers is based on this scoring and our internal decision. We do not ask our review board to provide comments for the submissions.
6) Category – If the submission is (being) presented prior to Hardwear.io or if it is an enhancement of an already presented research, please DO NOT mark it as new research, as it falls under current research.
7) New research - At Hardwear.io we focus on new research that has not yet been published/presented prior to Hardwear.io conference dates. New research submissions get priority over current research. If your submission is a rework/enhancement or your existing research or similar presentation to what is already delivered/published elsewhere, it will get a lower score when compared to new research.
8) Past talks – Please visit hardwear.io/archives and have a look at previous conference speeches for reference purposes.
* Only one speaker will be eligible for the benefits in case there are two or more speakers for a talk.
** By submitting a paper and agreeing to talk, the speakers give hardwear.io the right to post, publish, re-distribute online and offline, soft and/or hard copies of their presentation material including slides, source code, design specifications, detailed paper and the recorded video of the talk.